CEU By Net Offers Online Continuing Education Credit in Telemental Health Treatment of PTSD - Relevant Now and for the Future.
'Telemental Health Treatment of PTSD' is a 'how-to' course created from documents written and published by the Veteran Affairs' National Center for PTSD and the Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network (ATTC), providing step-by-step guidance in planning and implementing a Telemental Health treatment program.
The course materials explore Telemental Health treatment through remote Video Teleconferencing with veterans who are diagnosed with PTSD. However, the interpersonal approach to remote treatment intervention, the risk management issues, consents for treatment, documentation techniques, and training methods are applicable to all telehealth modalities and diagnoses.
The treatment techniques which are remotely utilized through video teleconferencing with a veteran population are empirically based practices (EBPs) which are recognized as effective in the treatment of PTSD within the general population.
Authors and Publishers: The materials in this course, sponsored by CEU By Net, are written and published by the US Department of Veteran Affairs' National Center for PTSD, the US Department of Health and Human Services' Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and the Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network (ATTC) - South Southwest ATTC located at the University of Texas School of Social Work, and the National Frontier and Rural ATTC.
1. Recognize the prevalence of untreated PTSD in tribal reservations, rural areas, post-deployment veteran populations, and nationwide due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the role that Telemental Health can play in the remote treatment of affected individuals.
2. Learn that the use of Evidence Based Practices (EBPs) in conjunction with home-based Clinical Video Teleconferencing (CVT) is empirically demonstrated to be as effective as - and sometimes more effective than - in-person, in-office treatment of PTSD.
3. Learn the use and documentation of the Teach-Back method to promote and ensure the client's understanding of instructions, homework assignments, and medication protocols provided during the telehealth session, including checklists for documentation of interventions and client response.
4. Review current 2020 research which demonstrates that all EBP modalities for treatment of PTSD can be effectively delivered through remote home-based video teleconferencing, including Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for individuals and groups, and Prolonged Exposure (PE) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I) for individuals.
5. With structured checklists and recommended actions, providers learn that essential clinical functions can be effectively performed remotely, including clinical assessment, trauma-focused psychotherapy with individuals and groups, psychoeducational interventions, cognitive testing, general psychiatry, and medication management.
6. Learn specific steps and documentation techniques to ensure the safety and confidentiality of clients who are provided behavioral health treatment through remote electronic communication.
7. Learn the details of what has and has not been changed by SAMHSA in its significant modification of 42 CFR Part 2 in July 2020.
8. Learn the step-by-step process of evaluating and putting into place the technical requirements and IT hardware and software systems needed for trouble-free Telemental Health sessions.